Wellard sources livestock globally where production is surplus to domestic requirements (e.g. Australia, Brazil, Uruguay and New Zealand) and sells livestock and meat to customers in markets where demand exceeds local production (e.g. China, Indonesia, Vietnam, the Middle East and Turkey).
In addition to its experienced team of market-based relationship managers and livestock buyers, Wellard owns or controls a number of strategically important assets, including:
- Two Government-approved pre-export quarantine facilities in Australia and one in South America;
- Four AMSA-approved livestock transport vessels (plus one under construction);
- A feed mill capable of producing 50,000 tonnes per annum of high-quality livestock feed to provide the nutrition required at Wellard’s pre-export facilities and onboard Wellard’s vessels; and
- Beaufort River Meats abattoir, which has the capacity to process 2,500 head of sheep/lambs/goats per day.
As a product of its broad reach and control of critical supply chain infrastructure, Wellard can supply its international clients (commercial and Government) with sheep and goat meat and a variety of livestock including:
- Feeder/slaughter cattle sold to feedlots and abattoirs;
- Dairy and beef breeder cattle sold to farming enterprises around the world; and
- Sheep sold to feedlots and abattoirs.
Wellard is the largest exporter of live cattle from Australia and a significant seaborne livestock exporter globally. This scale means that it is a regular and ongoing buyer of livestock across a variety of breeds, ages and weights to meet the varying needs of its customers. This market presence and capacity to provide a “whole-of-production” solution is attractive for producers.